#WriteMentor Mentor Bio
Let me start by saying WELCOME POTENTIAL MENTEES!! Ever since I participated in Pitch Wars as a mentee, I've been so excited to share the experience with another writer. This process is so rewarding and builds friendships for life. I can't wait to work with you! Remember, as with everything writing related, this is a subjective process, and it's truly important to find the person who falls in love with your story. You should never settle for someone who is less than enraptured.
I'm offering a full manuscript package with multiple revisions, so let's make sure we're a great fit!
What I'm looking for:
I love Contemporary YA or Contemporary YA with spec elements (magical realism, think ghosts, light sci-fi elements, etc). I want beautifully written and emotionally complex stories. If you write light and fluffy or silly funny, I'm not your girl. I prefer my humor sarcastic and self-deprecating. Think way more Jace Herondale than Will Ferrell. (Unless it's Will Ferrell in Daddy's Home, because I love that movie.) I love heavy issue books. I don't shy away from tough topics such as mental illness, suicide, physical disabilities, grief, self-esteem issues, etc. If you have LGBTQ+ story lines, even better. Gender nonconformity? Excellent. I prefer romantic elements over romance, but the right story could change my mind. I read to fall in love with characters and see the world through their eyes.
What do I have to offer?
I have ten+ years of writing experience. I've worked as an editor, social media director, and submissions reader. I have years of experience in critique groups and am currently working toward becoming a certified book coach with Author Accelerator. As a previous Pitch Wars mentee, I've been where you are, and I'm ready to climb down into the trenches with you. I will give you every ounce of my experience if you're ready to listen, learn, and most importantly, WORK!
My feedback will be direct and honest. I don't see the point in buttering people up. If you impress me, you'll know it. If something falls short, you'll know that too. As with all art, keep in mind that this is ultimately your story and you know it best. Changes are open for discussion, but I expect you to consider everything with an open mind.
I expect to make several passes of your manuscript. First, you'll get an edit letter with big-picture changes. Once those are accomplished, I'll do a more detailed read through with in-document comments and changes using Word's track changes. We'll also work on your query letter and synopsis.
What do I expect from you?
Dedication, first and foremost. If you don't have time to revise your manuscript in the allotted time, please don't enter. This process is intense, and it'll require time and patience. I hope my suggestions will take your work from good to great, but ultimately, it's you, the writer, who has to complete the task.
Open communication is important to me. Feel free to email me with questions if you are unsure about anything. I'd rather fix something up front than have to complete another reread and rewrite. We may not agree on everything, and that's okay. Talk to me. I'm here for YOU.
- I'm married with a 10-year-old son who's Type 1 Diabetic.
- I'm a self-proclaimed cat lady.
- I've coached winterguard for 10 years.
- I love COFFEE!
- I'm a Flint native who now lives in metro Detroit, but I hate Michigan. Give me sandy beaches and NO SNOW. I hope to live on a houseboat one day.
- My day job is in healthcare.
- I have megalophobia.
- I was a dancer for 17 years.
- I'm taller than the average bear.
- I'm repped by Ali Herring at Spencerhill Associates, and my novel, Life Expectancy May Vary is currently with editors. (Eep!)
- Some of my favorite books are: They Both Die an the End & More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera, If I Stay by Gayle Forman, The Fault in our Stars by John Green, Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, anything by Cassandra Clare or Holly Black.
- I'm a huge Vampire Diaries fan. I love The 100, Famous in Love, The Handmaid's Tale, Westworld, Game of Thrones, Shadowhunters, Travelers, CSI, Elementary, Everything Sucks, The Resident, and more!
Have questions? Feel free to @ me on Twitter and I'll be sure to get back to you.